Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Duck Fat


Duck Fat
43 Middle St.
Portland, ME

One time my family went to San Francisco for Thanksgiving. My mom and her husband ran into a restaurant and grabbed a bird, came back to the car, and handed my sisters and me forks. Already suspicious of the crazy idea of eating Thanksgiving in the car, we were kind of confused when the turkey didn't taste like turkey.

Needless to say, the turkey was not turkey. It was an entire duck, neck and everything still intact. This was my first experience with duck and it scared me so much that I didn't go back.

I spent last summer raising ducks at a summer camp near Asheville. We had sixteen of them, cute and fuzzy, we got them when they were only a day or two old. They grew up quickly, loosing their down and growing beautiful water-resistant feathers. Similar to mallards, these ducks were heavier so they couldn't fly at all. We kept them in a coop next to the chickens and hens at night. When we let them out in the morning, they all went their separate ways, the roosters scaring the ducks away to the creek.


Because these two experiences allowed me to only think of duck as nice, fluffy, super-shitting water foul, I was very hesitant to eat at a restaurant named Duck Fat. But I had heard of their amazing french fries. So I tried them.




I never thought I would actually say this: They were the best french fries that I have ever tasted. Made from Maine potatoes, these potatoes are fried in duck fat, creating a delicate texture on both the inside and the outside. They are served with a choice of dipping sauces that include flavors like truffle ketchup, garlic mayonnaise, and curry mayonnaise. It is a close call determining whether these fries are good by themselves or with the sauces. 

The fries were so good that I was very much looking forward to my bacon, goat cheese, and tomato sandwich. 



Which, by they way, I am not a fan of goat cheese. Duck Fat made me believe in two things: 1) eating duck fat can be wonderful, and 2) goat cheese goes perfectly with bacon, tomato, and crusty bread. Oh, and that sweet pickles aren't necessarily the worst thing on the planet. 


Our table also ordered a wonderful salad of fresh peas, pickled onions, house-made croutons, bits of ham, spinach, and tarragon dressing.

Overall going to Duck Fat was a very positive experience. I think I might just be overly-enthusiastic about everything, but probably because it really is amazing. And I guess I'm just an excited person.

3 comments:

  1. I remember that Chinatown duck all too well! Can't wait to try good duck and get that bad image out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's go to Main, Emma! This restaurant was seriously one of the best culinary experiences ever.

    ReplyDelete