Tuesday, July 26, 2011

i never told you about maine...

The trip to Maine was fantastic! We went about a month and a week ago, and I kind of forgot to post about it. Oops. 

Anyway, my family always takes turns making dinner. On my night, I knew I wanted chicken, but had no idea what to pair it with. I found some cheese and cilantro that needed to be used before our vacation was over. 





I used the mixture to stuff between the skin and the breast. Oh yeah! There were some bread crumbs mixed in, but not too many. I'm not a fan of too much bread. Well, unless I  am eating a loaf of really yummy bread from a bakery. Mmmm. 


I finished the chicken with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Then I threw it in the oven at 350 uncovered until it was done, probably about 40 minutes. Maybe a bit longer, I forget.


I found these super cute pattypan squash at a local market. They were so soft I just wanted to eat them raw, but decided to cut them up anyway.


When I first went to Maine in 2008 I had fiddle heads for the first time. Normally skepticism creeps in when it comes to new foods. I won't eat kimchi, for example, or won't go anywhere near anchovies. Young baby ferns, though? I thought I should give them a shot.

It was good I did, too. They are great! Kind of bitter, fresh, tender, yummy. Plus, the texture is unlike anything I have had before. Maybe like celery and green beans, but nothing like either. Hmm. Any ideas?



I took a red onion and cut it into little strips. The onions and garlic went into the frying pan with olive oil to sauté.


The fiddle head and pattypan squash went in the pan to sauté until tender. The combination was really successful. Onions and squash together are so good! 



Once the chicken came out of the oven the smell overcame the entire house. The cilantro lost a lot of its pungency and the cheese had layered around the chicken, holding in all of the juices. Skin is never on my list of things to eat, but I think I ate a little bit of this skin and gave the rest to my mom.


For some reason the chicken was the moistest chicken I have ever had. Plus, the ingredients make the chicken really flavorful. It's definitely worth trying! 


 This beer went with dinner, too. It's Geary's Summer Ale and woah. Nice crisp upfront with a citrus finish. Medium bodied and perfect for a summer evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment