Saturday, August 13, 2011

i guess i was in hiding


Wow, it's hard to think about how long it's been since my last post.  Time that I've been gone has been spent moving and camping. My mom and I went to Stone Mountain State Park on a small camping trip. We got to the park on Friday night, set up camp, and tried to get the fire going. Well, maybe I should say that I threw up my hammock and set up the kitchen area while mom set up her tent solo. Oops, guess I just got excited! 




I've never set up a kitchen like this before. Normally camping for me consists of a few odds and ends that may or may not make sense together. Mom thought ahead and boiled some eggs and potatoes for the trip. They sure came in handy when we couldn't make a consistent fire! 



We took a bunch of potatoes and eggs and made a hybrid egg-potato salad. Yum!



Of course, green onions are necessary, along with some celery and mayonnaise. After salt and pepper not much else is needed. This is the perfect quick side dish that can hold up while camping. We put leftovers in the cooler so we were able to eat it the next day.


Again, mom thought ahead and brought hotdogs. Me? Hell no! This is some awesome chicken that P got from a friend's farm. I figured that with tin foil and a hot fire, anything can cook! That is, unless your logs are too damn wet.

FYI: Ours were. 

We ended up (admittedly being totally irresponsible) making a fire with cardboard and lighter fluid. It took about three hours to cook my chicken breast, but it was perfect when it came out. I wish I had a picture but it was already dark by the time it was ready! 



The next day we went on a hike to see the super awesome rock. We packed a light lunch/snacks and ended up sharing them with an ant. The ant decided to crawl all over my leg and then our food. It's kind of cute! 



Here is our wonderful lunch! Organic celery and carrots, peppers form the garden, and bread from Simple Kneads Bakery. If only every weekend could be this great! 

We went camping two weeks ago. Since then I have had some changes in my personal life, including a break up and a move. Things have been fine, just a little out of sorts. I'm getting used to a new kitchen, figuring out a new(ish) job, and trying to figure out how to cook for one person. And the garden is pretty destroyed, lots of disease and bugs. I'll post a few pictures soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment