Sunday, June 26, 2011

tomato sauce

When I was little I used to eat apples like crazy. I had to eat the middle first, creating a ring of all the easy-to-eat parts. After that I would move to the outside round, a little harder to get at, but still relatively easy; only a few nasty parts. You know, only a few parts to make me realize that I was actually eating something that grew. After the second round, finally, I would eat the part that is around the bottom belly-button of the apple. I thought this was the grossest part. It was yucky.

After I had eaten my apple, I still had the middle to get rid of. Of course, I ate the apple while watching some sort of T.V. show. I guess when you're a kid you CANNOT get up to throw an apple core away because Mom would find apple cores hidden throughout the living room. Especially behind the entertainment center.

I had a thing for apples. They were my food when I was a little kid.

Tomato sauce became my food later. It's not a real food, right? A lonely condiment, neglected and deemed unimportant by shoppers who buy jars of sickly sweet Ragu. Damn them.

Beauce tomato sauce should be so awesome that the pasta no longer matters; the sauce should be the star of the plate.

So when I got my hands on around 15 perfectly overly-ripe tomatoes, sauce was the first thing I thought of.


This tomato sauce is obviously simple, but one of the best sauces in the world. Not only is it great over pasta, but it also shines on fresh squash or quinoa. This sauce is also good for freezing. Putting cooled sauce in a muffin tin allows for perfect half-serving portions, just take out of the tin and wrap in plastic wrap or throw in a zip bag.

The sauce probably won't last for long, though. It's so good that you can eat it by itself!

1 comment:

  1. Oh those apples...You were watching PBS of course and you couldn't break away from Barney! I've laughed about that so many times. Great recipe and is that your sauce in the background?

    ReplyDelete