Sunday, June 12, 2011

what the hell?

After spending five hours inside, it is really nice to sit outside for a quick lunch. The problem is there aren't that many places to eat outside if you bring your own lunch to work. I have to decide between eating on the lonely landing deck outside the office or going to the park, a super easy decision. 

Parks are known to be filled with kids and laughing, especially when the park is connected to a development. 

I went to the park a few weeks ago. It was a Monday and I had my ENO hammock and my book ready for 45 minutes of super relaxation time before going into work. Off to the park! 

Gibson park is really cute. Who wouldn't want to go there? There is a lake and two fields, plus walking trails and shelters that are perfect for hanging a hammock. 



As I drove down the road, though, something wasn't right. Pulling up to the gate, I realized that it was closed. I squinted at the sign that was a few hundred feet ahead of me. I just saw the closed gate, so I decided to park at the lot that was just before the park's entrance and walk right in. 


And I pass by this strange pond that's right at the entrance. There is absolutely no purpose for this pond. It was kind of sad. Plus, there was this ugly Thing right in the middle of it. Seriously, why the hell does it exist? 



There is something odd about a closed park. First of all, why does a park need to be closed? It's not like the snack bar is open or the bathrooms need to be cleaned regularly. It's just a closed park. Second, a park without any people at all is eery. 



But I decided to eat there anyway. Under the lonely shelter. With my carrots. 



The scary thing about this park, a place of freedom and happiness, are all the signs to things to not do. The rules and the restrictions are just silly! A field that, admittedly is designated for baseball, has a sign that says "no soccer, no football" on it. In a park without any other field! 

On my way out I was taken by all of the signs I missed on my way in. There were signs for everything, some reasonable and some crappy: 






My favorite sign, a display of all the rules and regulations of the park. I love the first one. 


I just don't understand how a park can have all of these rules and regulation. Growing up in California, I remember parks just being open; no fences surrounded the large open fields or playgrounds. Not only could you sneak onto them at night, but signs like this were few and far between:


So what is going to happen to kids that grow up in places with this many rules? Or kids who grow up where this is the fewest number of rules they encounter? Hmm. I wonder how the eating green philosophy would help these kids. I don't know. Any thoughts? 

2 comments:

  1. Rules have to be posted for those with no common sense. No motorized vehicles cuz people would show up with 4 wheelers and tear the place up. No hunting cuz folks would show up with guns. Fishing restricted so nobody wades out, drowns or steps on a fish hook. Dogs on leashes so there aren't any dog fights or animals attacking kids. LIABILITY...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jut think it's funny that there weren't this many rules fifteen years ago. Or at least this kind of rule. What happened? Did people wake up one day and say, "I think I want to go squirrel hunting at Gibson Park!"?

    So understanding the rule is simple, but understanding why is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete